Deltarpm xz problem with PPC generated rpms?

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Mon Sep 14 19:43:12 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 20:29 +0300, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 20:25 +0300, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> > Ok, I've just had a conversation on IRC with Lasse Collin, the
> > maintainer of xz.  He's now planning on changing xz so it will produce
> > the same output independent of endianess.  He hasn't committed to any
> > timeframe, though.
>
> <snip>
>
> Sorry, forgot to mention, another option would be to sign the
> *uncompressed* data in an rpm, so if the compressed data was different,
> it wouldn't matter.
>
> This would be a lot easier from the maintenance side of things, but I'm
> not sure how feasible this big of a change in rpm would be.

 That doesn't work, before yum checks the signatures it checks the
createrepo checksum ... which is a sha256 (or whatever) of the entire
rpm¹. So deltarpm must produce exactly the same bits.

¹ Asking someone to change this to be the headers plus uncompressed data
is likely to be unhealthy for you.

--
James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org>
Fedora