default fonts in Fedora

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Fri Sep 18 15:40:12 UTC 2009

Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Daniel Mach <dmach at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Which group should I install?
>> yum install @base-x is definitely not a good choice, it installs a lot of
>> packages I don't really want.
>> It's 107 additional packages to my current installation.
>
> I'm just explaining the supported way to install a desktop (in the
> case of what I manage that's gnome-desktop)

As far as I can tell, gnome-desktop doesn't include explicit (default or
otherwise) fonts either.

Shouldn't a good/default set of monospace/sans/serif fonts get pulled in
from somewhere, somehow?  Am I missing something?

Would be going too far to be adding to (to some/all) font-providing
packages, something like:
Provides: monospace-fonts
Provides: sans-fonts

and Requires's these somewhere?  (an initial/naive choice might be in
fontconfig perhaps)

-- Rex