Re: Xinetd resurrection

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 7:40 PM, Lorenzo Villani <lvillani binaryhelix net> wrote:
On 09/20/2009 06:28 PM, Steve Grubb wrote:

Not at all. These days the only need for xinetd is in memory constrained
systems. For mainline x86_64 bought with typically 4Gb of main memory, xinetd
is a thing of the past. That's my point.

Well, I am probably part of that 0.000001% who would like some services to start on-demand.
For example I don't print all the time and I prefer to have cups start only when needed, then die instead of having it waiting for no real purpose. Now, this is a case in which it doesn't make sense (you start xinetd instead of cups for no real gain) but it can be useful with some setups.

Even if I have a quad-core system with 4Gb of memory available I always prefer to find a better use for it.

What about launchd ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launchd

http://developer.apple.com/macosx/launchd.html

Sound good  But it really have MUCH more functionality of xinetd (or the old inetd)

--
Lorenzo V.