status of forked zlibs in rsync and zsync

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 29 16:24:25 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 08:07 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On 09/29/2009 05:00 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > On 09/29/2009 05:14 PM, Josephine Tannhäuser wrote:
> >
> >> Seems that violations of the guidelines are not so important like the
> >> violation of the Trademark (The hunting of fedora related sites, like
> >> blogs or forums with adhesions contracts)...  Are the project related
> >> activities are out of balance?
> >
> > They are called guidelines and there are always exceptions. Bundling a
> > library is not ideal but removing rsync would be a extreme step. I don't
> > think the situation warrants that. Let's not loose perspective here.
> >
> So in this case, I think the following things could be said:
>
> * Removing rsync is not an option because of how widely it is used.

 Sure.

> * Bundling libraries in zsync is not an option

 Why is it not? Because you don't use it? Because f-i doesn't currently
use it? (remember this thread started because the Fedora QA group wants
to use it).

 Maybe we should split the packaging guidelines into ones everyone has
to follow and ones that are really anal and only unpopular packages have
to follow.

--
James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org>
Fedora