ABRT considered painful

Stefan Schulze Frielinghaus stefan at seekline.net
Sat Jan 2 12:39:07 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-01-02 at 11:53 +0100, Jiri Moskovcak wrote:
[...]
> ABRT 1.0.2 should fix the problems with installing the debug packages,

Does this mean ABRT 1.0.2 installs those missing debuginfo packages
automatically and also _removes_ them after the bug was committed?

I'm not really familiar with the handling of debuginfo packages maybe
someone can explain that to mean. My understanding is the following: The
debuginfo packages contain symbols etc. which were striped out after the
build process to ensure a small binary to save memory (and as a side
effect speed). When the debuginfo package of a particular binary is
installed, then the symbols are loaded whenever the binary is loaded or
are the symbols only considered by tools like gdb and so on?

This is crucial to me because if the debug symbols are loaded whenever
the binary is loaded, then this means a performance decrease but if they
are only loaded by gdb, ABRT or whatever, then this "only" means some
waste of my disk space which may be negligible (if the debuginfo
packages are not removed automatically).

cheers,
Stefan