RFE: Never, ever steal focus.

nodata lsof at nodata.co.uk
Wed Jan 6 21:01:31 UTC 2010

Am 2010-01-06 18:17, schrieb Matthew Booth:
> On 06/01/10 17:00, Adam Jackson wrote:

>>> I'd go with "don't let a different app steal focus". Windows for the
>>> same currently focused app are allowed to. This works pretty well under
>>> Mac OS X. Might depend on some of the stuff being done by the
>>> gnome-shell folks though, to be able to group windows together as
>>> belonging to the same process/application to be able to do it Right
>>> under a Linux DE...
>>
>> Now make that work for the (not uncommon) case of clicking a link in evo
>> or control-clicking one in gnome-terminal and expecting firefox to pop
>> forward with that page.
>
> There is one situation where the absolute of $SUBJECT is required:
> password windows. I end up typing passwords wholly or partially into
> other windows on a reasonably regular basis because of this.
>
> Matt

This is my primary motivation for bringing this up again.

I either start typing a password into a dialog then something steals
focus and the password is in cleartext, or or the other way round: I
start typing something in one apps, a password dialog pops up, and I end
up typing non-passwords there. Ugh. Dangerous and not good.

This must be solvable, not just for password entry.