RFE: Never, ever steal focus.

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Fri Jan 8 13:55:32 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 03:59:14PM -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 16:00 +0100, nodata wrote:
> > I'd like to suggest an enhancement for Fedora 13: nothing should ever
> > steal focus from the window I am typing in. If I am typing in a shell
> > window, or in a word processor, or an e-mail, nothing should ever take
> > keyboard focus away from that window.
> >
> > Clearly I'm missing something, otherwise we would have this, hence the
> > posting to the list :)
>
> I'm not sure what you are missing, but I know what I'm missing here - a
> description of when exactly focus was stolen from you that was a
> problem.
>
> In almost all cases, if you are typing into one application in Fedora,
> and a window pops up from another application and steals away your
> focus, and your typing goes to the wrong place, that's a bug that should
> be filed against one of:

I just realised that not only focus stealing when typing, but also when
reading is annoying. E.g. here firefox just crashed, so I restarted it
and while it opened all its tabs and windows, I wanted to read mails.
But then firefox steals the focus several times for its windows.

Is this something that is supposed to happen?

Regards
Till