[Fedora-directory-devel] Does FDS 7.1 support RFC2307 ?

Keith Sharp kms at passback.co.uk
Wed Aug 24 13:15:43 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 07:11 -0500, T.J. Yang wrote:

> Reading RFC 2307 Section 5.1 and 5.2 but it is still vague for me.
> Which OS and which software module has  Secction 5.2 functions implemented ?

I have done a degree of NIS replacement (passwd, group and automount
entries) using the Fedora Core Linux operating system as both the client
and the server.  The LDAP server I used was OpenLDAP.

The functions in section 5.2 are normally implemented in the standard
libc library.  On Fedora Core that is glibc, and the implementation uses
the files /etc/nsswitch.conf to determine which directory to use to
lookup information: files, NIS, LDAP, etc.  For authentication you may
also need to configure the PAM system to use LDAP.  Fedora Core provides
a utility called system-config-authentication that has a simple GUI for
configuring these systems.

Support on other operating systems and libc implementations will vary,
you should contact the vendors or appropriate support groups for those
operating systems.

Keith.