[Fedora-directory-devel] Successfully built directory server on Ubuntu Hoary

William Lachance wrlach at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 01:31:15 UTC 2005

Hi all,

In the interest of trying new shiny things, I decided to try compiling
the directory server on my Ubuntu box today-- after some pain, it
seems to be running nicely. It's obviously a long way from being
properly packagable (and I probably won't have time to do anything but
play with LDAP server's capabilities for a while), but I thought I'd
let people know about my experiences  in case someone wants to pick up
where I left off..

The instructions on the directory server website (for RedHat/Fedora)
work, with the following caveats:

1. cyrus-sasl requires some care. You need to make sure it doesn't
depend on any database (or link it against the version of berkeley db
you're going to use with the ldapserver itself), else you're going to
be missing symbols when you try to link the ldapserver binary.
Unfortunately, cyrus-sasl-2.1.20 doesn't seem to want to build at all
in this configuration, so you'll have to upgrade to cyrus-sasl-2.1.21
(which also doesn't work in this configuration, but can be tweaked).

My solution:
tar zxvf cyrus-sasl-2.1.21.tar.gz
cd cyrus-sasl-2.1.21
./configure --with-dblib=no --enable-static --without-des --without-openssl
make
(watch it fail)
cd lib && make
cd ..
make
cd ..
ln -s cyrus-sasl-2.1.21 cyrus-sasl-2.1.20

That failure has been filed on cyrus-sasl's bugzilla (#2674)

2. You need to make a symbolic link from /usr/bin/gmake to
/usr/bin/make (Debian doesn't do this by default). See bug 159371 in
redhat's bugzilla.

3. When building ldapserver, you'll get a lot of warning messages
about a missing '/etc/redhat-release' file-- these messages are (IIRC)
quite harmless. Hopefully the autoconfization of the server will
happen soon and we can handle all the distro-specific stuff from a
central configuration script (instead of make macros). :-)
--
William Lachance
wrlach at gmail.com