[Fedora-directory-devel] Using Apache httpd

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Nov 1 16:38:30 UTC 2005

In fact the code for the new admin server that uses httpd is already in CVS.
Start here - http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Building
Then go to http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/AdminServer for
information about the admin server.  The "admin server" functionality
that used to be supplied via an NES plug-in is now supplied by an Apache
module called mod_admserv -
http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Mod_admserv
Since we are required to use NSS instead of openssl for crypto, we wrote
a new general purpose crypto module called mod_nss -
http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Mod_nss

If you put all of these pieces together, you get the admin
server/console/web app/cgi functionality using the Apache 2.0 built into
the OS.

We also got rid of Java.  The console in CVS now builds and runs with
the system Java, which should be the Sun or IBM JDK 1.4.2 or later.  We
also have a team that's working on making the console run with open
source java projects like GNU Classpath.  There are a couple of bugs in
bugzilla related to that effort.

We are also working on making the console more standalone, so that you
will be able to administer the directory server without using the admin
server (however, the CGIs won't work, but there are few of them).