[Fedora-directory-devel] Fedora Directory and Samba4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Nov 8 10:34:36 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 21:12 -0700, Richard Megginson wrote:
> Hello.  Sorry I haven't replied earlier - we have a major release coming
> up.  I think we chatted several months ago.
>
> FDS is also committed to working with Windows.  We have our Windows Sync
> utility which uses DirSync to get the changes from Windows, and we use a
> replication changelog to push the changes from FDS to Windows using
> plain old ldap.  For passwords, we have a password sync "plug-in" on
> windows that intercepts the plain text passwords and sends them to FDS.
> While the Windows Sync feature works ok, it's not perfect:
> 1) Relies on DirSync which up until recently was not a published spec
> (if you know where I can get the spec, I would be grateful)
> 2) Doesn't sync everything - some groups on AD are "virtual" e.g. the
> DomainUsers group - groups defined within the replicated suffix can have
> members outside of that sufffix - no support for schema changes
> (although we could just read the schema over LDAP as well, but that's a
> lot more work)

We are making good progress on DRSUAPI synchronisation, but the best
sync AD -> Samba4 at the moment is the old netlogon, where we get the NT
password hashes.

> 3) Is hard to set up - people seem to have a devil of a time figuring
> out things that the AD interface "hides" from you, like the DN of the
> domain administrator and things like that

That really shouldn't be anything more than an ldapsearch or a
DsCracknames call on an autoconfiguration tool.  (Samba4 has a
DsCrackNames client, which makes things easier :-)

> 4) No support for password policy and group policy - this will be hard to do

We don't have these either yet, but neither looks too hard...

> You guys seem to have solved 1 and 2.  3 I'll withhold judgement on :-)
>
> So I think we still need to exchange data between Samba4 and FDS.  We
> were trying to figure out how to solve 4 - we need to figure out a way
> to have a common consistent password policy across PAM, LDAP, Kerberos,
> and Windows.  For Windows, we were going to try to figure out how to add
> that information to the sync protocol.  For Kerberos, I don't know if
> you can get that information via gssapi, so we were going to try to use
> Heimdal and replace the backend (I think new versions of MIT Kerberos
> allow you to more easily plug-in another database backend).

Heimdal does have a good LDAP backend, and it is the hdb layer that I
have extended to build us the Samba4 KDC.  (This is shipped 'in' Samba4,
and is linked into the main binary, reads the main database by default
etc).

> So I guess there are a few ways for Samba4 and FDS to work together:
> 1) Use WinSync between Samba4 and FDS

If it is a windows interface, then we should eventually support it, but
it's not the way I want to crack this particular nut.

> 2) Use some other protocol (FDS multi master repl?  LCUP?  LDAPSync?
> others?)

Messy, but possible.

> 3) Configure Samba4 to use FDS as it's database

This is where I want to go.  I hate 'sync' systems with a passion, so I
want Samba4 to use FDS as much as possible.  We can then provide KDC and
Windows Domain services on top of your database.

Andrew Bartlett