[Fedora-directory-devel] Installing FDS

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Mar 31 17:23:50 UTC 2006

Joe Baker wrote:
> Is there a good howto for installing Fedora Directory Server (FDS) on a
> Fedora Core 5 system.

We don't (yet) have RPMs for Fedora Core 5, but you can build it using
the One Step Build method easily.
http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Building#One-Step_Build

You won't be able to install RPMs for Fedora Core 4 on FC5 because FC5
uses Apache 2.2.
> I've heard many good things about FDS.  I'd like to begin migrating from
> our old Mandriva 9.1 system running OpenLDAP to FDS.
>
> I've been surprised that FDS hasn't shown up over on Gentoo as an ebuild
> script.
>
> I tried but failed to install FDS on CentOS 4.

What problems did you have?  I think CentOS 4 is roughly the same as
RHEL4 - did you try to install the FDS RHEL4/FC3 rpm?
> I'm looking for an easy way to try FDS but my past installation attempts
> have left me thinking it is a difficult thing to get right.

It may be something simple like hostname/DNS configuration.