[Fedora-directory-devel] Please review: distributed numeric assignment plugin

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Jan 22 20:02:40 UTC 2007

Pete Rowley wrote:
> Rob Crittenden wrote:
>> Pete Rowley wrote:
>>> New pre-operation plugin:
>>
>> In dna_get_next_value() what could cause a call to
>> slapi_search_internal_get_entry() to fail that you have to try 3 times?
>>
> It's actually the mod operation that can fail, the original value is
> deleted and the new value added in one operation with two mods, if the
> original value has changed since the search the mod operation will
> fail. It's a way to get an atomic increment.
Ok.  So I think the errors should be treated a little differently.  If
the search fails, that's bad - probably a fatal error, or perhaps
someone deleted the configuration entry out from under you.  I think
that if the mod fails, you should check the error code, for something
like LDAP_TYPE_OR_VALUE_EXISTS, which means the mod->add failed because
attribute already has that value, or whatever specific error is returned
from the mod->delete value operation when the value doesn't exist.
Other errors are probably fatal.