[Fedora-directory-devel] Creating an OSX Port

Nathan Kinder nkinder at redhat.com
Mon Mar 3 16:27:39 UTC 2008

Todd Nine wrote:
> Hi all,
>   I'm a J2EE Developer, and an amateur system admin.  I absolutely
> love Fedora Directory, and I'd like to attempt to port the console to
> Mac and create a simple install DMG.  I read on the requirements that
> a Sun JDK is required.  Has anyone successfully run on an OS X jdk.
> Is it even possible, or does it require linux specific gtk libraries
> in java?
I think you'll have no problem with the main Console jars.  I think I've
been able to at least launch the Console up on OS X a long time ago, but
things have changed with the Console since then, so it might just be
easier now.  You can likely just copy the jars over from a Linux system.

In order to use any feature which requires crypto (SSL, importing
certificates, etc.) in the Console,  you will need to build JSS, which
has a JNI library.  It will require you to compile NSS and NSPR as
well.  All of these components have been ported to OS X previously, so
it should be quite doable.

-NGK