[Fedora-directory-devel] Administrative limit exceeded with no results returned

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Sep 25 16:45:20 UTC 2008

Graham Leggett wrote:
> Rich Megginson wrote:
>
>> Not exactly.  You are most likely hitting the look through limit.  Is
>> associatedDomain indexed for equality?  Are there more than 1000
>> entries that have the associatedDomain attribute?  In order to
>> satisfy the NOT filter (!) the database has to look through all of
>> the records in the database.
>
> The total number of objects containing associatedDomain is 50 objects,
> and the definition for associatedDomain is the default as found in the
> pilot schema like so:
>
> /etc/dirsrv/slapd-chandler/schema/28pilot.ldif:attributeTypes: (
> 0.9.2342.19200300.100.1.37 NAME 'associatedDomain' DESC 'Standard LDAP
> attribute type' SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15 X-ORIGIN 'RFC
> 1274' )
>
> How does the directory handle multiple queries in an "and"? I would
> have thought that (&(A)(B)) would not bother evaluating B if A
> evaluated to zero records (as is the case in the first query), and in
> theory calculating the NOT in the second half of the query should have
> in theory have searched the results left over after evaluating A (ie
> just one record in the second query).
>
> Or have I got this wrong (or backwards)?
I think the problem is that having !(associatedDomain=somevalue) does
not imply (associatedDomain=*).  Do you want to search for entries that
have associatedDomain and !(associatedDomain=somevalue)?
Try a search filter like
'(&(associatedDomain=*)(associatedDomain=imausa.net)(!(associatedDomain=rachel.example.com)))'

That should first find only the entries that have the associatedDomain
attribute.
If that doesn't work, try a sub-filter like
(&(associatedDomain=*)(&(associatedDomain=imausa.net)(!(associatedDomain=rachel.example.com))))
Otherwise, I'm not sure - not filters are problematic in this manner.