[Fedora-directory-users] How mature is FDS?

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Aug 10 21:12:56 UTC 2005

Alexander Stagun wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am currently evaluating different Directory Server software which will
>replace some part of our production NIS/Samba based authentication
>system. Our first tests looked really promising except for one bug we
>encountered: deleting a view crashes the ns-slapd process hard (bugzilla
>bug #164610).
>
>Now I have to admit, I am a bit unsure regarding the maturity of the FDS
>project. I thought we are dealing with the good old and mature Netscape
>iPlanet sources here, but I can't believe such a bug could go unnoticed.

Virtual views are a relatively new feature and haven't been used that
much.  Especially not in the way that you have reproduced the bug.  By
the way, how many iterations does it usually take to make the server
crash with your ViewTest.java?

>So I'd really like to know, is there anyone outside who uses FDS in a
>sort of mission critical environment? Is FDS on par with NDS or Sun's DS
>regarding stability and scalability?

FDS 7.1 is exactly the same as Netscape Directory Server 7.1, just a
continuation of the line from Netscape 4.x -> iPlanet/Sun 5.0 and 5.1 ->
Netscape 6.x.  There are many large, high volume deployments of Netscape
DS 6.x, which is the last major release.  FDS 7.1 is the same with some
new features and bug fixes.  We are now seeing customers rolling out
deployments of DS 7.0 (released late last year), and we should soon be
seeing 7.1 deployments as well.  Most of our large enterprise customers
require a lot time to roll out deployments of new versions, usually due
to their stringent qa/release procedures.

>Regarding the bug we filed - is there anything we could do in order to
>help fixing that issue?

How urgent is this?