[Fedora-directory-users] Re: automount

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Aug 16 15:01:40 UTC 2005

There has been a lot of confusion around this issue (mostly on my
part).  I think one of the problems is that rfc2307 support from OS
vendors is now deprecated in favor of rfc2307bis
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-howard-rfc2307bis-01.txt,
which is still in Internet Draft phase (and is due to expire very
quickly).  A new draft is being worked on with the goal of generating a
new RFC.  The bis draft has one problem with it, in that it requires the
use of the authPassword attribute (defined in RFC 3112
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3112.txt).  FDS does not support this (and
neither does OpenLDAP AFAICT).  I have attached a file called
10rfc2307bis.ldif.  This is the schema from the 2307bis I-D in FDS
schema format.

The preferred way to map the automount information is to use the
automount attributes and objectclasses in the RFC 2307bis draft schema.
The problem is that I don't know all of the vendor support.  So far I've
been unable to find out what RHEL3 and RHEL4 support.  I've been told
that Solaris has support for the bis schema.

If you like, you can replace the 10rfc2307.ldif schema supplied with FDS
with the attached file, and see what happens.