[Fedora-directory-users] getting solaris 8 to talk to FDS

Tay, Gary Gary_Tay at platts.com
Thu Aug 25 16:15:22 UTC 2005

It is kind of messy here, pls don't continue to do any other thing, I strongly suggest you start from FRESH and reinstall FDS7.1 again.

OK assuming you prefer to use foo.com as the LDAP domain (nisdomain), the baseDN (where the topmost rootDN is) will be dc=foo,dc=com, if you choose "populate with sample data", I think the ou=People and ou=Groups will be created, note that ou=group will not be created.

I am not sure and couldn't recall if FDS7.1 installation will create the nisDomain object in the rootDN, if it does not, you could create it by accessing this rootDN in admin server/open directory, click rootDN, add an objectClass "nisDomainObject" and attribute "nisDomain", with value "foo.com" in it (without the quotes).

If you query everything, the rootDN is listed first, it will be something like:

# /usr/bin/ldapsearch –h ldap1.foo.com -b "dc=foo,dc=com" -L "objectclass=*" | more
dn: dc=foo,dc=com
dc: foo
objectClass: top
objectClass: domain
objectClass: nisDomainObject
nisDomain: foo.com

Since most DS product standardize on using ou=group as the group data OU, instead of ou=Groups, do add "ou=group" using admin console.

Again whatever you do, don't jump, don't do "ldaplist" without first making sure "ldapclient" run OK, ldap_cachemgr started OK and show no error in its log, and so on.

Gary