[Fedora-directory-users] Announcing Fedora Directory Server 1.0

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Dec 1 18:07:18 UTC 2005

Kevin M. Myer wrote:

> Quoting Richard Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com>:
>
>> Yes, and that probably won't work in an upgrade installation
>> situation.  For upgrade, it's best to backup your data and security
>> db files, and do a completely new installation.  You should be able
>> to save your data, database configuration, security configuration,
>> replication configuration, etc., remove the old software, install the
>> new software, and reapply your old data and config.
>>
>> There was a bug in the server - those files should be owned by
>> "nobody" (or whatever your ns-slapd uid is).  We have not tested
>> upgrade install - there may be some problems with the console or
>> other admin server functions because the admin server is radically
>> different.
>

> Well, after spending a little time with it, I think a forced RPM
> upgrade can still be made to work, without doing a complete backup,
> uninstall, and new install.  There are a few caveats, namely that the
> setup script (at least on my forced upgrade test server) failed to
> properly configure the admin server, which meant none of the Apache
> config files were generated.

Right.  That's my main concern, along with some other file/directory
configuration that setup does for admin server/console.

> But I installed a fresh install on my workstation, and copied config
> files, made a few changes to them on my test installation and am up
> and running.

Ok.

> Only issues I've seen so far are organizational charts throw an Apache
> server error (undefined symbol: PL_sv_undef at
> /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line 229.),

What OS and version is this?

> and from the Java console, my Administration Domain has disappeared.
> Haven't put a finger on that one yet.

I think that has to do with some info under o=netscaperoot that's using
4.0 or 7.0 or 7.1 or 71 instead of 1.0 or 10 e.g. the jar file names
should be ds10.jar instead of ds71.jar.
Try a search like this:
ldapsearch -T -b o=netscaperoot -D "cn=directory manager" -w password
"objectclass=*" | grep 71
or grep 7.1 or grep 4.0
All of those will have to be replaced with 10 or 1.0.