[Fedora-directory-users] Calendar server

Mike Jackson mj at sci.fi
Thu Dec 1 18:25:57 UTC 2005

Jeff Clowser wrote:
> I know this is somewhat off topic, though it has come up a couple times
> since Red Hat bought the whole suite from Netscape...
>
> http://www.sun.com/smi/Press/sunflash/2005-11/sunflash.20051130.1.html
>
> Looks like Sun is open sourcing JES (which includes the mail and
> calendar server as well as the directory server).  My hope is that
> someone picks this up and adds caldav support to the calendar server,
> spuring the caldav efforts on clients like Mozilla Sunbird, Evolution, etc.

I searched all over their site trying to find the source code, but no
cigar. Binary downloads were downloadable for free.

> Between FDS (which seems to be improving more steadily than Sun's DS),

When it comes to first impressions, the sun ds has fedora beat hands
down. What I'm talking about is the very slick GUI installer. Of course,
old pros will still want to use the silent install, which is found in
sun and fedora ds, but for newbies, I think they will definitely choose
the sun ds for it's installer. That is, unless we do something about it.
Competition is _always_ a good thing. Look how many long requested
features suddenly started popping up in OpenLDAP during the past year :-)

--
mike