[Fedora-directory-users] JAVA_HOME problems after upgrade

Kevin M. Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Thu Dec 1 20:51:44 UTC 2005

Quoting Nathan Kinder <nkinder at redhat.com>:

> FDS 7.1 included the IBM JVM.  FDS 1.0 does not include a JVM.  To
> use Console you need either the 14.2 Sun or IBM JVM on your system
> with JAVA_HOME set appropriately.
>
> -NGK

A suggestion - since Red Hat packages and distributes RHEL with Java
RPMs from IBM, and since jpackage-utils puts some nice reasonable
defaults in /etc/java/java.conf for Java variables, and since Red Hat
now has a directory server that uses Java for management, how about
modifying startconsole to check /etc/java/java.conf first? :)

The following should hold true:
LIBJAVA_DIR=JAVA_LIBDIR
LIBJVM_DIR=JAVA_JVMDIR

The startconsole script didn't work for me to automatically detect
LIB{JAVA,JVM}_DIR, based on the output of find/sed, so I just hardcoded
to the above, which is what they would have ended up as anyway.  But
after just digging a little bit, the reason appears to be that "find
/usr/lib/jvm/java -name 'libjvm.s[ol]'" returns nothing.

But:
cd $JAVA_HOME (or /usr/lib/jvm/java)
find . -name 'libjvm.s[ol]' returns ./bin/classic/libjvm.so

or probably better,

find $JAVA_HOME/ -name libjava\.s[ol]

works too, so I think the trailing slash after JAVA_HOME is needed.

Kevin
--
Kevin M. Myer
Senior Systems Administrator