[Fedora-directory-users] jre1.5 and other "bugs"

Nathan Kinder nkinder at redhat.com
Sat Dec 3 16:56:45 UTC 2005

Jon Jahren wrote:

>Hi
>I've been trying to get the directory server v1.0 working all day.
>First my problem was that jre1.5 wasn't working right, it would just
>hang with the splash screen telling me to log in, and no window to enter
>username and password. I'd like to help troubleshoot it, but I do not
>know what logs to look at and whatnot. This is on a system running a SMP
>kernel, however, it didn't work in a regular kernel either.
>That's my first question, where are the logs, or what debugging tools
>could I use for this job?

This is a window focus issue.  Run startconsole with the "-xnologo"
option.  This will not display the splash screen, and you will see the
login dialog that was hidden behind it.  For troubleshooting Console,
you can run it with the "-D" option.  This will output debug messages to
stdout.

>Then there's this:
>I replaced jre1.5 with j2re1.4 and it started "normally", which means
>that I at least got to the login screen, but it gave me an error that
>claimed the server hadn't started. And I had indeed ran ./setup/setup
>and chosen what I thought to be correct values.
>However, I had used the hostname that I regularly use, Embla, as a
>hostname, and I had gotten this message when the script finished:
>"Fatal Slapd The required field AdminDomain is not present in the
>install info file.
>ERROR: missing data from answer cache"
>
>I reran the script, and this time I didn't use Embla for a hostname.
>That got me a bit further, because I was given these messages, that I
>didn't get before:
>"[slapd-localhost]: [03/Dec/2005:15:05:21 +0100] - slapd started.
>Listening on All Interfaces port 389 for LDAP requests
>
>NMC_Status: 0
>NMC_Description: Success! The server has been started.
>
>Can't open /opt/fedora-ds/bin/slapd/admin/scripts/template-migrateTo4:
>No such file or directory
>Start Slapd Starting Slapd server reconfiguration.
>Info Slapd No old nsperl references found"
>
>After I got that message, I was still getting no server running, after
>running start-admin.
>So I stopped it, using stop-admin and then stopped slapd with
>stop-slapd, I started slapd and then start-admin, and now it works! I
>can log in and everything.
>Now to my question: Are these bugs that should be reported, or are they
>merely user errors? And how can I set it to use my hostname Embla?

You should make sure that both forward and reverse lookup work for this
hostname.  Also ensure that domainname returns the correcct domain name
of your box.

-NGK