[Fedora-directory-users] self signed certificates

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Dec 8 20:27:53 UTC 2005

Craig White wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 13:00 -0700, Richard Megginson wrote:
>

>>Craig White wrote:
>>

>>>Trying to follow instructions at
>>>http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/7.1/ssl.html#1087158
>>>
>>>Step #8
>>>Copy the key3.db and cert8.db you created to the default databases
>>>created at Directory Server installation:
>>>
>>>where is this 'default databases'?
>>>
>>>/opt/fedora-ds/slapd-srv1/ ? # srv1 is name of my server
>>>

>>/opt/fedora-ds/alias/slapd-srv1-key3.db
>>/opt/fedora-ds/alias/slapd-srv1-cert8.db
>>

>----
>OK - well that was where I created them...
>
># ls -l /opt/fedora-ds/alias/
>total 520
>-rw-------  1 nobody nobody  65536 Dec  8 12:55 admin-serv-srv1-cert8.db
>-rw-------  1 nobody nobody  16384 Dec  8 12:55 admin-serv-srv1-key3.db
>-rw-------  1 root   root    65536 Dec  8 11:18 cert8.db
>-rw-------  1 root   root     2644 Dec  8 11:18 cert.pk12
>-rw-------  1 root   root    16384 Dec  8 11:18 key3.db
>-rwxr-xr-x  1 root   nobody 194880 Nov 29 15:06 libnssckbi.so
>-rw-r--r--  1 root   root       55 Dec  8 11:09 noise.txt
>-rw-------  1 root   root        9 Dec  8 11:09 pwdfile.txt
>-rw-------  1 nobody nobody  16384 Dec  6 08:46 secmod.db
>-rw-------  1 nobody nobody  65536 Dec  8 10:55 slapd-srv1-cert8.db
>-rw-------  1 nobody nobody  16384 Dec  8 10:55 slapd-srv1-key3.db
>
>I didn't see them listed anywhere in the console.

Didn't see what listed anywhere in the console?

I think the directions mean "copy your new key3.db over
slapd-srv1-key3.db and copy your new cert8.db over
slapd-srv1-cert8.db".  When you do this, make sure slapd isn't running,
and make sure you retain the old ownership and permissions of those
files (e.g. nobody:nobody and 0600).  Slapd (uid nobody) has to open
those files in read-write mode.