[Fedora-directory-users] mail aliases

Mike Jackson mj at sci.fi
Sat Dec 10 11:47:29 UTC 2005

Craig White wrote:
> What I used to do in openldap was use an objectclass
> inetLocalMailRecipient which was defined in the 'misc.schema' and my
> primary usage was to use an attribute inetLocalMailAddress to stuff
> additional addresses as aliases because I struggled with multiple values
> in the mail attribute.

The mail attribute is not multi-valued.

> Obviously I can import the openldap schema that I was using into FDS but
> now I am thinking that it is probably a better idea to re-examine my
> usage.

Why?

> To reduce my questions to basic...
>
> - is the mail attribute multi-valued?

No.

> - How do I determine which attributes are multi-valued?

Attributes are multi-valued by default. If you want them to be
single-valued, you must specify it in the schema:

attributeTypes: (
   1.3.6.1.4.1.300.1.8.1
   NAME 'fooName'
   DESC 'Foo Name'
   SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26
   SINGLE-VALUE
   )

> - Is there an attribute better used for mail aliases?

That depends on the usage. If you are setting up an MTA to do deliveries
based on LDAP queries, then the MTA might use multiple attributes.

Qmail-LDAP reads "mail" first, and then "mailAlternateAddress" (which is
multi-valued) second. So, with Qmail-LDAP, a user's main address is
assigned to mail and all subsequent addresses are assigned to
mailAlternateAddress.

See the following schema for examples:

http://www.bayour.com/openldap/schemas/qmail.schema

--