[Fedora-directory-users] ACI

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Dec 12 00:30:51 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-11 at 14:11 -0700, Richard Megginson wrote:

> >Yeah you are correct on all these accounts. Obviously the default rule
> >is always to not allow whatever isn't expressly permitted and yes, there
> >was the default anonymous allow rule that played into it.
> >
> >What I did discover was if I attached the following ACI to
> >ou=AddressBook,dc=clsurvey,dc=com it doesn't work but if I attach it to
> >dc=clsurvey,dc=com it does work.
> >

> I'm not sure why, but most of the time, the (target = ..) clause is not
> necessary.  acis have subtree scope - they apply to the entry containing
> the aci and all children and decendents of that entry.  So if the
> following aci is in the entry dc=clsurvey,dc=com, you don't need the
> (target....) clause.
>
> >(targetattr = "*")
> >(target = "ldap:///*,ou=AddressBook,dc=clsurvey,dc=com")
> >(version 3.0;
> >acl "AddressBook Administrator";
> >allow (all)
> >(userdn =
> >"ldap:///uid=Administrator,ou=People,ou=Accounts,dc=clsurvey,dc=com")
> >;)
----
If I remove the 'target' phrase, the ACI takes on an entirely different
meaning - that the dn can read and write anything inside of
dc=clsurvey,dc=com and my interest was only that the dn can do anything
inside the target itself.

My point was simply that if I attached that same ACI to the target
itself, it doesn't work. If I attach it to dc=clsurvey,dc=com - it
works.

Thanks

Craig