[Fedora-directory-users] ShadowPassword / ShadowExpire

Jim Summers jsummers at bachman.cs.ou.edu
Fri Dec 16 21:06:02 UTC 2005

Hello List,

Being in the midst of evaluating and hopefully migrating to FDS soon.  I
have stumbled onto a odd problem.

My user information is kept in the People container.  We have been using
shadowExpire / shadowLastChange fields.

This all seems to work except when a user's account is ready to expire
and is prompted to change their password.  Using passwd, the user can
change the password, but the system continues to prompt for a new
password upon each successive login.

Looking at the data, the shadowExpire / LastChange never get updated.  I
am also not seeing any errors being generated in the logs.  I can
manually update those fields and the problem goes away.  But I guess I
thought passwd / nss_ldap / pam would update those fields as needed.

Looking in the docs, all I see is configuring a password policy.  But
that seems to be directed at users actually connecting to the directory
via console / ldapsearch, etc....

Initially I thought I was having some ACI issues but I am really not
sure.  It could be that I need to drop the shadow stuff and configure
the password policy?

Advice or suggestions on what I am missing or where I have gone wrong?

TIA
--
Jim Summers
School of Computer Science-University of Oklahoma