[Fedora-directory-users] log files not cleaned up

Mike Jackson mj at sci.fi
Mon Dec 19 15:54:34 UTC 2005

Gerhard de Jager wrote:
> Hi.
>
> We are running Fedora Directory server v. 7.1
>
> It has about 24 million records in the directory, and runs fine for
> about a week.
>
> Then suddenly the log files written to <fedore-dir>/slapd/db/ are not
> removed.

Those are berkeley database transaction logfiles. They are the first
entry point for new records, and are flushed (fifo) into the userRoot db
indexes when the ns-slapd transactions slow down enough. With your size
of database, and I'm guessing that it's not mostly static yet, you
likely need to do some fine tuning to your transaction logging.

> They start to build up, and are not deleted.

This probably means that you are continuously adding, modifying, or
deleting entries, and they don't have time to commit to the userRoot db
files.

> More log fiels aer added (example log.0000011701, log.0000011702 etc).

This is normal.

> Does anybody know what can be done and if those files can be removed, or
> is there a command that can be run to make fedora-ds process those
> files?

You should check the following docs:

"Configuring Transaction Logs for Frequent Database Updates"

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/7.1/entry_dist.html#34668

"Tuning Transaction Logging"
"Changing the Database Checkpoint Interval"
"Specifying Transaction Batching"

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/7.1/dsmanage.html#1066324

BR,
--