[Fedora-directory-users] Re: setup fails, cannot start server (slapd)

Ulli Horlacher horlacher at belwue.de
Thu Dec 22 17:36:15 UTC 2005

On Thu 2005-12-22 (08:04), Richard Megginson wrote:

> >If I understand you correctly, start-setup and start-slapd are scripts
> >which will be generated by startup/startup?
>
> Yes.

Nice to know that I have understood at least SOMETHING :-)

> >Continue? (yes/no) y
> >Please select 1, 2, or 3 (default: 2)
> >getFQDN: hostname = lanldap2
> >getFQDN: host lanldap2 = lanldap2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de
> >getFQDN: host lanldap2 has length 9
> >getFQDN: new max host lanldap2 has length 9
> >getFQDN: host lanldap2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de has length 30
> >getFQDN: new max host lanldap2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de has length 30
> >getFQDN: host lanldap2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de has length 30
> >getFQDN: host lanldap2 has length 9
> >
> >Hostname to use (default: lanldap2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de)
> >Server user ID to use (default: nobody)
> >Server group ID to use (default: nobody)
> >

> It should have asked you many more questions here - about other aspects
> of server configuration.

Yes I was asked many more questions:

Fedora configuration directory server? [No]:
Do you want to use another directory to store your data? [No]:
Directory server network port [389]:
Directory server identifier [lanldap2]:
administrator ID [admin]:
Suffix [dc=rus, dc=uni-stuttgart, dc=de]:
Directory Manager DN [cn=Directory Manager]:
Administration Domain [rus.uni-stuttgart.de]:
Administration port [47328]:
Run Administration Server as [root]:
Apache Directory [/usr/sbin/]:

I confirmed all defaults (besides the password, of course) and then I got:

[slapd-lanldap2]: starting up server ...
[slapd-lanldap2]: Attempting to obtain server status . . .
[slapd-lanldap2]: Attempting to obtain server status . . .
[slapd-lanldap2]: Attempting to obtain server status . . .
[slapd-lanldap2]: Attempting to obtain server status . . .

These other questions from above are not found in the log-file.

> problems.  Are you starting from scratch when you attempt to run setup
> again?  That is, do you
> rpm -e fedora-ds
> then
> rm -rf /opt/fedora-ds
> ?

Yes.

I could now have a closer look (sh -x) at the setup-script, but I will use
another approach: I have now installed fedora core 4 in vmware.
I will later go back debugging FDS on SLES 9.
My boss wants a running LDAP server NOW :-}

--
-- Ullrich Horlacher, BelWue Coordination ------- mailto:framstag at belwue.de --
   Universitaet Stuttgart