[Fedora-directory-users] reducing memory footprint?

Pete Rowley prowley at redhat.com
Thu Dec 22 18:50:12 UTC 2005

Gerald Richter wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I just made a test installation of FDS and saw that a ns-slapd without any
>user data takes about 120MB of (virtual) memory on my system.
>
>I would like to run it on a system which limited memory resources, so I am
>looking for a way to use less memory.

This has very much not been the typical deployment for this server.
That is not to say that it cannot be made to run in a small space - just
that not much effort has been put into finding out.

>I don't have high load on that system and never more than one or two quries in
>parallel, so it would be quite ok to reduce the number of threads and things
>like this, but beside reducing the cache size of the backend DB I didn't find
>any hints what can be done in this direction.
>
>Any ideas?

In general turn things off that that you don't need /e.g./ disable
plugins that provide features you do not need.  Reduce the size of or
turn off the entry cache, in the default case it makes a reasonable
guess at what useful a cache size would be for good performance.  If you
are seriously hard up for ram you might consider removing schema files
you do not need.

Let us know how lean you get it and what you did :)

--
Pete