[Fedora-directory-users] reducing memory footprint?

George Holbert gholbert at broadcom.com
Thu Dec 22 19:30:07 UTC 2005

Ulf, thanks for the clarification.

Gerald, I should have mentioned, the HP tuning guide is not explicitly a
guide for reducing memory usage.  But, some of the text (such as the
excerpt I pasted) may be of use to you.

Good luck,
-- George

Ulf Weltman wrote:
> Hello George and Gerald.  I'm afraid the tuning guide wont help much
> with reducing memory footprint, it focuses on increasing performance
> which involves using more memory among other things! :)  There is a
> document for the NSDS 7.0 which is not far from the FDS 1.0 codebase
> if you're still interested, but the measurements and tuning
> suggestions are meant for DS running on HP-UX.
>
> It does answer one of Gerald's questions:  worker threads can be
> reduced with nsslapd-threadnumber, the default is 30.  I don't know
> that this will save you significant memory on Linux.
>
> Ulf
>
> George Holbert wrote:
>
>> Hi Gerald,
>>
>> HP has a tuning guide for their bundled Netscape DS, which may be
>> somewhat useful to you for this:
>>
>> http://docs.hp.com/en/7152/nds621_tuning_sizing_13.pdf
>>
>> Of course, Fedora DS and HP's DS are not the same product, but they
>> have common heritage.
>>
>> Excerpt:
>>
>>> The Netscape Directory Server for HP-UX caches entry and indexing
>>> information in memory. HP-UX requires at
>>> least 256 MB of memory for a small deployment. But for large
>>> directory servers, 512MB to 4GB RAM is needed for
>>> best performance. To estimate how much RAM needed for Directory
>>> Server on a system, please use the following
>>> formula:
>>> Total_NDS_RAM = 1.2 * (base_RAM_need_for_slapd_process + caches)
>>> Where
>>> base_RAM_needed_for_slapd_process = 32MB + nsslapd-threadnumber * 1MB
>>> caches = dbcache + SUM(all entry caches) + import_cache