[Fedora-directory-users] [Fwd: Re: [LDAP-interop] LDAPv3 NOT search filter behavior]

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Jul 1 17:53:10 UTC 2005

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [LDAP-interop] LDAPv3 NOT search filter behavior
Date: 	Fri, 01 Jul 2005 11:10:01 -0600
From: 	Rich Megginson <richm at netscape.net>
To: 	quanah at stanford.edu
CC: 	richm at stanfordalumni.org, OpenLDAP interoperability list
<ldap-interop at fini.net>

quanah at stanford.edu wrote:

> --On Friday, July 01, 2005 10:53 AM -0600 Rich Megginson
> <richm at netscape.net> wrote:
>
>> Does search using a NOT filter imply the presence of that attribute?
>> Specifically:
>>
>> (!(someAttr=abc))
>>
>> Should this return those entries which have the someAttr attribute
>> present AND whose someAttr value != abc?  Or should this return entries
>> which do not have the someAttr attribute?
>

> This should return all entries that don't have someAttr=abc.  I.e., if
> the entry has someAttr=joe, it will be returned.  If the entry doesn't
> have any occurrence of someAttr, it will be returned.

What happens if you specify the uid attribute to be returned?  Is this
specified in X.500?  If so, where?

> For example:
>
> tribes:~> ldapsearch "(!(uid=quanah))" | more

e.g. what happens if you do
ldapsearch "(!(uid=quanah))" uid
?  Does it return only those entries that have a uid attribute?  Does
OpenLDAP omit entries from the search results that match the search
filter but do not contain the attribute listed in the attribute list in
the search request?