[Fedora-directory-users] Specifying an all-inclusive User directory subtree?

Jeff Clowser jclowser at unitedmessaging.com
Thu Jul 28 20:56:23 UTC 2005

I would create a suffix with something like "o=isp", then create
"o=k12.pa.us", "o=abc.org", "o=<primarydomain>", etc under that.  Create
ou=people, ou=groups, etc under each, and set up admin groups, aci's,
etc to allow each to be managed separately, allow appropriate views by
users, etc.

Search o=isp as your base to see all entries, or o=<primarydomain>,o=isp
to see individual ones.  (Note I say <primarydomain> instead of <domain>
because some organizations have more than one domain associated with
them - you don't have to define a branch for each domain you use -
organize things by how you want to manage them and restrict views, etc).

There is really no need to use the dc=k12,dc=pa,dc=us style tree - in
fact, in most cases I've set up, that was actually a bad choice.  Sun
uses o=internet as a base under which to put a full dc tree (in their
5.x messaging software), but even they are moving away from that,
because it doesn't work very well in a lot of cases (though it works a
lot better than st=pa,c=us type trees).  If you really want to use a
domain based tree, build it under something like o=internet. (i.e.
dc=k12,dc=pa,dc=us,o=internet, etc) so there is a common root.

 - Jeff