[Fedora-directory-users] Specifying an all-inclusive User directory subtree?

Kevin Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Thu Jul 28 21:14:18 UTC 2005

Quoting Jeff Clowser <jclowser at unitedmessaging.com>:

> There is really no need to use the dc=k12,dc=pa,dc=us style tree - in
> fact, in most cases I've set up, that was actually a bad choice.  Sun
> uses o=internet as a base under which to put a full dc tree (in their
> 5.x messaging software), but even they are moving away from that,
> because it doesn't work very well in a lot of cases (though it works
> a lot better than st=pa,c=us type trees).  If you really want to use
> a domain based tree, build it under something like o=internet. (i.e.
> dc=k12,dc=pa,dc=us,o=internet, etc) so there is a common root.

I should have been more specific and stated that using a domain component
approach to the tree layout was an initial assumption.  I'm aware that I can
use a "fudge" base and artificially create a top-level parent with that, and
use ACI's appropriately to control access, as we're already doing that, but
without a common top level DN.  I can accomplish similiar functionality to the
two plugins Rich mentioned by using some of the OpenLDAP proxy/rewrite
backends, but I was more concerned about the initial suffix you setup in the
setup script and that is searched from within the management console, not so
much with client access.

I thought the 5.X release of Directory Server actually required a domain
component tree?  And that, in turn, was based on recommendations in RFC
2247? What are the problems you've encountered using a domain based tree
(dc=iu13,dc=org,o=internet), versus one where the domain is treated as an
organization (o=iu13.org,o=internet), other than having a few more components
to type?  Has thinking on using DC style tree's changed?

Kevin
--
Kevin M. Myer
Senior Systems Administrator