[Fedora-directory-users] How to Start the Admin Server Daemon?

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Jun 6 14:23:17 UTC 2005

Steve Mahaffey wrote:

>Leif Hedstrom wrote:
>

>>Did you actually create an Admin and DS instance (using .../setup/setup)
>>

>? I don't think those scripts are created until you run the setup.
>
>I followed the Install Guide where it says to do this:
>cd serverroot/bin/slapd/admin/bin
>perl ds_newinst.pl /full/path/to/install.inf
>
>I haven't fully scrutinized what the perl script does, but maybe it
>doesn't do all the things that the setup script that you've referenced
>does.  Perhaps I should try to start over and use that one?
>
>Looks like the setup shell scrip overwrites the install.inf file also.  So
>if both need to run it looks like order may be important.

There are two different procedures here.  When building completely from
scratch from source, you do not have the admin server, console, setup,
etc.  Those components are still proprietary and have not yet been open
sourced (we are working on it).  So if you do a "pure" open source build
from scratch, you don't get console, admin server, etc.

What we recommend is to first download and install the binary Fedora DS
package.  This does contain admin server, console, etc., and will create
those scripts like start-admin at install time.  Then, if you want to
work on the source code, check it out and build it, then just replace
ns-slapd, libslapd.so, and any other files you'd like to test with your
changes with the versions you build from source.