[Fedora-directory-users] Ideas for fds

David Boreham david_list at boreham.org
Sat Jun 11 15:47:31 UTC 2005

jclowser at unitedmessaging.com wrote:

> One simple realworld example I run into:
> - I want to create a group of people.  Lets say I want this to be all
> people in the engineering department, which is determined by having
> the value "engineering" in the department attribute of their entry.

I guess by an example I mean the complete application use-case. When you say
you want to create a group, I say 'ok, what do you want to do with that
group?'.
e.g. enforce access control to the engineering building doors ? Allow higher
internet bandwidth to engineering staff ? Something like that ?

> - Further, I want to set up a webpage in Apache that only the
> engineering group can see.  Apache doesn't deal with groupOfURL style
> lists, as far as I know, so this doesn't work. (groupOfURLS being ok
> for finding a list of members, but lousy for determining if a user is
> a (dynamic) member of it)  Nsroles would probably work for apache, but
> I don't think JES/Netscape messaging supports nsroles as a means for
> defining mail groups - its not really appropriate for determining
> lists of users like this.

This is an interesting one, because applications like apache were the
target for roles/cos. Do you know what Apache does support for
detemining page access via LDAP ?