Re: [Fedora-directory-users] Ideas for fds [Auf Viren geprüft]

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Jun 13 14:37:42 UTC 2005

Frerk.Meyer at Edeka.de wrote:

>Actually there are more kinds of 'groups' in a FDS / Netscape/ Sun LDAP
>Directory Server
>than just group entries:
>
>1) Treenodes / Entry DN
>Every node defines a group of its subnodes and leaves.
>If a person entries is under some organisation and organisationunit nodes,
>it is member of the organisations and organisationalunits. Membership
>can be deduced from the DN of that entry. Search all person in a subtree
>are the member of that 'group'

Right.  But then moving an entry from one group to another becomes
problematic.  Even if the server supports the modrdn or subtree rename
operation, it can be a problem for apps that expect the entry DN not to
change.

>2) Classical static groups
>A group entry has a multivalued attributes with references (DNs) of all
>members.
>Best for the question: who are the members of a group

Actually, this can be a very expensive operation when you have more than
several hundred members of a group.  There is no good way in LDAP to
efficiently retrieve a large number of values for a single attribute.
We need to solve this problem if we want to use standard static group
semantics.

>Worst for the question: to which groups does an entry belong
>
>3) 'Reverse' or 'forward referencing' groups aka NSroles
>A person entry has multivalued attribute with references (DNs) to all group
>(role) entries
>it is member of.
>Best for the question: to which groups does an entry belong (the most often
>used case!)

Is this really the most often used case?  Which applications use this case?

>Worst for the question: who are the members of a group (if no clever
>indexing/caching)

In FDS with Roles this is a simple search (nsRole=<DN of role definition>)