[Fedora-directory-users] schema extension via ldif at install time

Jeff Clowser jclowser at unitedmessaging.com
Mon Jun 20 18:27:40 UTC 2005

Brian K. Jones wrote:

>On Monday 20 June 2005 2:03 pm, Mike Jackson wrote:
>

>>Don't put schema into 99user.ldif, it's not maintainable.
>>

>This would seem to be contrary to the documentation on redhat's site. I'm
>certainly not meaning to say you're wrong - quite the contrary - I'm pointing
>out to whomever it may concern that the docs need polishing :)

Keep in mind that you can edit schema using the console if the schema
you are editing is in 99user.ldif.  If you put it in any other file, the
console will see it as read-only.

As a "good" practice, I'd say if you are testing or have schema that
changes often (for whatever reason), use 99user.ldif, but once you have
a stable schema, put it in a separate file for maintainability.  If you
are rolling out multiple apps with custom schema in each, it would
probably be userful to put separate apps customizations in separate
files (i.e. 98mail.ldif, 98cal.ldif, etc).  Just makes it easier to keep
things straight.

 - Jeff