[Fedora-directory-users] Virtual DIT views vs hierarchical DIT

Jeff Clowser jclowser at unitedmessaging.com
Fri Jun 24 20:16:39 UTC 2005

Pete Rowley wrote:

> Which sounds like a nice enhancement, redirect non-view entry creation to
>
>some other part of the dit :)  I think it is only the creation case that
>really matters - clients that just do modify ops are much more likely to use
>the dn of the returned entry than to try to construct one (apps that do that
>would be very broken in any case).

Well...  Personally, I think administrative apps that create entries
need to know the "real" DIT.  I'm not sure how safe it would be to try
to translate a view backwards (is it always safe/easy to translate back
to the "right" place?)  If you write DN based attributes (owner,
manager, uniquemember) based on a view instead of the real tree, seems
like a lot of ugliness can happen.

 - Jeff