[Fedora-directory-users] What implementation of Kerberos prefered?

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Jun 30 17:07:11 UTC 2005

Sam Tran wrote:

>On 6/29/05, David Boreham <david_list at boreham.org> wrote:
>

>>Sam Tran wrote:
>>

>>>I would like to know what implementation of Kerberos is prefered to
>>>setup SASL/GESSAPI with Fedora DS: MIT or Heimdal?
>>>

>>It was developed tested and is supported with MIT (or the OS vendor's
>>native krb implementation in the case of other OS'es, which I believe
>>are all derived from MIT).
>>Doesn't mean that it won't work ok with Heimdal of course.
>>

>Has anyone implemented FDS with Heimdal.
>
>Heimdal allows you to store the user passwords in LDAP. Is there a
>password change mechanism for that situation?

There is a "ldap backend" for Heimdal, but it uses the non-standard
ldapi interface (e.g. LDAP through a unix domain file based socket
rather than a TCP/IP socket).  You would have to port that code to use
an ldap or ldaps interface for use with FDS.

Otherwise, I'm not sure if GSSAPI supports a password change mechanism.
If so, you could do this through FDS.