[Fedora-directory-users] role of uxwdog?

uffe at loop.to uffe at loop.to
Sat Nov 5 19:01:02 UTC 2005

Mike Jackson wrote:

> David Boreham wrote:
>

>>> I don't know about a watchdog for ns-slapd, I'll leave that up to
>>> the more learned LDAP gurus.
>>

>> Simple : The LDAP server never crashes.
>>
>> ;)
>

> I have setup an LDAP server watchdog before with OpenLDAP and
> Daemontools. It works like a charm.
>
> To work with daemontools, a daemon should be able to start without
> forking itself into the background, e.g. with -f switch or similar,
> and log all of it's output to stdout (access, errors, etc). OpenLDAP
> can do this, but I don't believe that FDS can (although it would
> certainly be a great feature to add because daemontools really kick ass).

The Daemontools look very handy!  I run qmail under them but hadn't paid
enough attention.

If ns-slapd is started with -d<error level> it will not fork-and-exit
and it logs errors to stdout.  That's how to launch ns-slapd in debugger
and avoid having to follow children.  You can use the regular
start-slapd script to pass arguments, like "start-slapd -d0" for normal
log level.