[Fedora-directory-users] question about required fields and I18N issues

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Nov 8 03:44:10 UTC 2005

speedy zinc wrote:

>We are working on a school project to build a
>"universal" directory service to support a global
>village (:) on which  everyone can logon using their
>native language. People can talk to each other
>using their native language, but it gets translated
>in real-time (don't expect too much, just a school
>project). And we use FDS as the underlying service
>for user authentication, user profile, etc.
>
>We want to allow user to register themselves,
>in their own language. So, username etc, should be in
>the native language.

Sure.  This is also quite common for large global enterprises who want
to provide self service or locally administered access to the directory
server.  The logic to convert from the local charset to utf8 must be
done in the application - LDAP only provides for utf8 data.  What is
registration application?  Is it open source?  What language is it
written in?  For C apps, iconv is provided by most *nix OSes.  There is
a way to do this in Windows - I can't remember, but there is some code
that the ldapsearch, ldapmodify commands use.  I have no idea about
Mac.  It's very easy to do this in Java - strings are stored in Unicode
internally, and the conversion code is built into the String class.