[Fedora-directory-users] question about required fields and I18N issues

speedy zinc speedy_zinc at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 8 04:02:02 UTC 2005

--- Richard Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com> wrote:

> speedy zinc wrote:
>
> >We are working on a school project to build a
> >"universal" directory service to support a global
> >village (:) on which  everyone can logon using
> their
> >native language. People can talk to each other
> >using their native language, but it gets translated
> >in real-time (don't expect too much, just a school
> >project). And we use FDS as the underlying service
> >for user authentication, user profile, etc.
> >
> >We want to allow user to register themselves,
> >in their own language. So, username etc, should be
> in
> >the native language.
> >

> Sure.  This is also quite common for large global
> enterprises who want
> to provide self service or locally administered
> access to the directory
> server.  The logic to convert from the local charset
> to utf8 must be
> done in the application - LDAP only provides for
> utf8 data.  What is
> registration application?  Is it open source?  What
> language is it
> written in?  For C apps, iconv is provided by most
> *nix OSes.  There is
> a way to do this in Windows - I can't remember, but
> there is some code
> that the ldapsearch, ldapmodify commands use.  I
> have no idea about
> Mac.  It's very easy to do this in Java - strings
> are stored in Unicode
> internally, and the conversion code is built into
> the String class.

But the console does not even display the content
"correctly". We use the java sdk to get the data, and
it is correct.

We are a team of 5, with 5 different lanaguages. We
aall
develop on Linux, using utf8 environment. We can add
entries using native characters, but despite setting
our environment to the right locale, the console just
displays some garbage characters.

regards

sz