[Fedora-directory-users] question about schema file keywords

Mike Jackson mj at sci.fi
Tue Nov 8 19:05:06 UTC 2005

Dominic Ijichi wrote:

> isn't structural integrity a subset or by-product of schema checking?  as in
> isn't the correct hierarchical order of objectclass definition part of the
> schema just as the oid type of an attribute is?

  You could say that anything which evaluates and constrains object
composition rules is "schema checking". What "schema checking" had meant
in practice, in the case of both OL and NDS/FDS, was something that 1)
did not include structural integrity checking, and 2) could be disabled
by the administrator. FDS still works like this. OL changed their
interface forcibly, and it had 2 results: 1) people just didn't upgrade
past 2.0.x, or 2) people couldn't figure out why their 3rd-party apps
suddently stopped working.

  It would be fine, IMO, to also add structural integrity checking to
FDS. I am not against the idea at all. What is not fine is when you
introduce a new constraint, and at the same time provide no option to
disable that new constraint. You can not force a random array of
3rd-party LDAP enabled apps to become "structurally compliant" overnight
or even in a year or two.

  Yes, there is a workaround for this in OL. It involves creating new
schema and doing tricks with subclasses... Certainly not something the
newbie admin would understand.

--
mike