[Fedora-directory-users] help with memory corruption

David Boreham david_list at boreham.org
Fri Nov 11 03:02:09 UTC 2005

speedy zinc wrote:

>*** glibc detected *** malloc(): memory corruption:
>0x08176080 ***
>slapd-neo/start-slapd: line 33:  7560 Aborted
>       ./ns-slapd -D /opt/fedora-ds/slapd-neo -i
>/opt/fedora-ds/slapd-neo/logs/pid -w $STARTPIDFILE
>"$@"
>
>Couldn't find anything about cleaning up corrupted
>data
>in the admin guide. Could someone tell what's this
>error about?

I'm not sure. First let's figure out which process is causing this error.
I'm not 100% that it's the server itself. What do you see in the errors
log ? Do you get the server startup banner ? You could also try running
under strace (make a copy of start-slapd, edit it to add 'strace -f -o
/tmp/straceout' to the
line mentioned above). The output from strace will give us some idea of
what's happening. Running in gdb with a breakpoint on the heap error
function you see caled above would be cool if you can manage that.
Post the stack trace here if so.

>Now I wonder, if I can get this kind of corruption
>that
>easily, how would people handle it in real production
>environment? If I get a sudden power outage, or the
>cleaning guy just trips on the power cord, and boom,
>the server won't start. That's not pretty, isn't it?

Let's hold judgement until we figure out the problem.
I've been working on this code for 9 years and this is the first time
I've seen something like this in released server code, if indeed
that's what is triggering the error here.

This must be code you built, right ? (I don't believe the FDS binaries
are built with the debug heap). It's also possible that this is a
build or compiler issue. Again I don't believe the product has been
extensively tested when built with gcc4.