[Fedora-directory-users] How to ldapsearch password expiration data?

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Nov 11 03:57:05 UTC 2005

Vsevolod (Simon) Ilyushchenko wrote:

> Rich,
>
> Thanks - I can see them now.
>
> However, now I have questions about the semantics of password
> expiration. The NIS+ tables store the account (not password)
> expiration date as the absolute day number (from year 0). I'm trying
> to replicate these data in FDS.
>
> 1. First of all, I'm not sure that the password expiration feature
> does the same thing. When the password expires, will the user be
> prompted to change it or will he be locked out?

It really depends on the application.  I think FDS will send back some
response controls related to password expiration.  FDS also allows a
configurable number of "grace logins" to allow the user to login
specifically for the purpose of changing the password.

> 2. Second, I can't even test it, because I can't seem to force an
> expiration. The passwordMaxAge attribute is the number of days after
> which the password will expire. Well, it's the number of days *since
> when*? Since today? How is it updated then as the time goes by? Or
> since the first logon? Where is it stored then?

I think the console uses a minimum of 1 day, but in LDAP you can go down
to the second, so that might make it easier to test.  passwordMaxAge is
the age since the password was created or last modified.