[Fedora-directory-users] Joins domain, won't logon.

James van Zeeland james at dvzproperty.com
Fri Nov 11 08:02:02 UTC 2005

Hi.

Up to date FC4 install + Fedora Directory + Samba + VMware , on HP ML150
dual 3.0G Xeons w/ 2Gb

Boots as a Directory server, and then on start of X logs in as vmware
user which starts a VMware only session (no window manager) and launches
a 2003 terminal server. Files are served from samba on the linux host.

Up till now users have been happilly using old workstations in workgroup
mode with syncd passwds, no problemo. I can't see anything in smb.conf
to explain this behaviour :

2003 Terminal server was built, intended to be the first genuine domain
member. It happilly joined the domain, but on attempt to login, reports
"Cannot log you in now because the domain <DOMNAME> is unavailable"

But it is available. Or should be.

Sorry, do not have the config files immediately on hand ( no remote
access yet - new installation)

Thought I'd throw a feeler out and see if anyone can tell me what can
cause this behaviour.

I read about a samba bug that caused something like this (machine
accounts must be stored in the same ou as users, but this was supposedly
fixed around samba 3.0.11 and I'm on 3.0.14something here.)

I have smbldap-tools installed, behaviour is same manually creating
machine account or letting it be created by samba.

I also had trouble with WINS support throwing a bad IP address (not even
inside the subnet) into the mix. No idea where that came from; Disabling
WINS (don't need it yet) fixed that, but the domain not available on
attempted login has me scratching my head.

I also read about DNS sometimes causing this, but the FQDN for both
machines my-server1.mydomain.local and my-appserver1.mydomain.local both
resolve without a problem.

I don't know what's wrong and am considering removing the directory and
SAMBA and taking the network down to reconfigure them from scratch
because somethings wack.

Of note : when loggged in as local administrator, password sync'd with
PDC, map some network drives, then attempt to join the machine to the
domain, it will FAIL reporting that multiple connections using different
credentials are a no-no.