[Fedora-directory-users] Question about Kerberos and FDS

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Oct 18 03:45:43 UTC 2005

speedy zinc wrote:

>Thanks for replying.
>
>--- Rich Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>>>Or does that
>>>mean I need to setup a kerberos server and use RHDS
>>>

>>as
>>

>>>the backend for user information?
>>>

>>Yes.  When you use kinit to acquire your ticket, you
>>can use that ticket
>>to authenticate to the directory server.
>>

>So, if I understand what you're saying, the directory
>server is acting as the TGS?

No.  You have to set up the usual Kerberos TGS.  The directory server
merely uses the tickets, like any other server/service.

>I'm going to setup a kerberos tonight. Which one works
>better with FDS? MIT or Heimdal?

I'm not sure.  The instructions we have in our docs are geared towards
MIT, but Heimdal may work just fine.

>>>And this one:
>>>- Impersonation (proxy) for multi-tier client
>>>applications.
>>>
>>>Could someone explain what does it mean and how can
>>>

>>it
>>

>>>be used?
>>>

>>Sure.  This is most often used with web apps or
>>other apps that set up a
>>pool of connections to the directory server.  Each
>>connection in the
>>pool is bound as a proxy user.  When a real user
>>wants to authenticate,
>>the proxy connection passes the real user's bind
>>credentials to the
>>directory server using the proxy auth control.
>>

>Oh, ok. I was thinking about something else :)

It can also mean chaining.  You can set up the directory server to use
another directory server as a database - what we refer to as a chaining
backend or database in our docs.  The use of a directory server to act
as a "front-end" to another directory server is also called a proxy.