[Fedora-directory-users] Management of source build?

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Sep 29 15:10:07 UTC 2005

Dominic Ijichi wrote:

>Quoting Richard Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com>:
>

>>Dominic Ijichi wrote:
>>

>>>Hi
>>>
>>>I've built FDS 7.1 from the source on two machines.  I'd like to populate
>>>

>>with
>>

>>>data and get the two synched together as a simple cluster using multi-master
>>>replication.
>>>
>>>Is this currently possible with the open-source version?  Can the management
>>>console be used yet without the admin server?
>>>

>>No.
>>

>>>Current documentation relies on
>>>the java console, is there any documentation that shows how to do
>>>

>>replication
>>

>>>and other management functions without the gui?
>>>

>>No.  We are working to address this shortcoming.
>>
>>In the meantime, I suggest you install the full blown binary FDS 7.1
>>RPM, then just replace the files in that package with the ones you
>>built.  Then you'll be able to run the console with the server you built
>>from source.
>>

>Unfortunately the two machines are Solaris 8/SPARC and Debian.
>
>If I was to setup replication on a binary install and then carefully watch the
>changes to config files and/or RootDSE would it be potentially possible to get
>the replication working on the source-built machines or does it actually require
>something not yet open-sourced?

Yes, I think that would do it.  All of the setup is done over LDAP, so
you should be able to save your dse.ldif before you do anything and
compare it against one after setup.  All of the entries and attributes
used for setup are documented in the Configuration, Command, and File
Reference -
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/pdf/ds71cli.pdf - search
for "nsds5repl" or "replica".