[Fedora-directory-users] AD synchronization questions

David Boreham david_list at boreham.org
Fri Sep 9 14:52:48 UTC 2005

Ivan Ruskov wrote:

> I have a couple of windows users and I would like them to be available
> in Linux. The FDS has a great feature which is the Active Directory
> synchronization. I read attentively the documentation and searched the
> source code but I did not find answers to my questions so I post them
> here.
>

> For a user to be available in Linux she has to have a valid uid
> number. How is the field uidNumber populated during inbound
> synchronization? (same for the user's home directory)

At present it isn't populated. In fact, there isn't a whole lot of tight
integration
between the FDS and Posix schema at present. I'd expect that to change in
the future though. For now you will need to populate the Posix schema
yourself
(or with a script).

> When the windows users are organized in a tree of OUs do I have to
> create the containers in FDS manually or are they created
> automatically by the synchronization plug-in? (the FDS documentation
> mentions something about this but it wasn't very clear to me)

Containers are not created automatically. (That's what the doc is trying
to say ;)