[Fedora-directory-users] mailing lists , FDS , WinSync

Nabeel Moidu nabeelmoidu at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 16:28:03 UTC 2005

Hi
I am aware of those two documents and do plan to proceed with my
installation based on them.

On 9/20/05, John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 21:12 +0530, Nabeel Moidu wrote:
> > Hi
> > I am ready to use any of the mailing lists available for postfix.
> > But i think mailman or ezmlm would be the preferable
>
> postfix does not have mailing lists, it has aliases. If you want a full
> featured mailing list (e.g. mailman) that is an entirely different piece
> of software (which may elect to utilize postfix as its MTA if it so
> desires).

I do use a full featured mailing list presently but its a
qmail/vpopmail/courier-imap/ezmlm on Solaris setup which i would like to
migrate to a postfix/cyrus/mailman on RHEL4 setup.

I am the maintainer for the mailman package here at Red Hat and I'm just
> finishing an LDAP module for mailman. But you need to realize mailman
> uses its own set of users based off of its own set of mailing lists,
> there isn't an automatic mapping of system users to mailing list
> members, which is what you seem to be expecting.
> --
> John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

using its own list while the users are stored in the directory server, but
the only issue is when the mail server receives a mail, an ldap lookup by
the Spam Firewall (We use Barracuda here) shouldn't result in it rejecting
it as an invalid user since the lists are maintained seperately.
Can this situation be overcome anyhow?

And as for the LDAP module you will be releasing , Will it be for storing
the lists completely in the ldap server?Can the list entries map to the
existing user account in the LDAP server?

Regards
Nabeel